Sunday, January 1, 2012

A new year, a new direction

One of the reasons I haven't posted lately is I have been pondering the purpose of this blog. Originally it was supposed to be a showcase of my own cats and what it's like living with rescued animals. I was also planning to work with my local rescue group to help get some of the animals adopted from the local shelter. Later, I started fostering again and the focus shifted to hopefully finding homes for my own foster cats.

I really must find a home for this sweet little girl.
Well, as they say, the best laid schemes of Mice and Men gang aft agley (translation: go to hell in a hand basket). My own health problems have made it hard for me to make the regular visits to the shelter and I have had no cooperation from the local rescue. I have worked with them in the past and things ended on a sour note when I kept pushing to get the group into the digital age and start up a web page and a Facebook page. The lady in charge didn't understand what I wanted to do and didn't want to let things out of her control so nothing happened. Well, both of us apparently still harbor bad feelings because I have gotten nowhere. Another group that started up in the area has also been uncooperative simply because they can't get organized. I offered to build their web site and maintain it and help with their Facebook. They have been "thinking about it" for more than a month now.

The other rescue groups in the area operate only within their own township or area and aren't interested in branching out. For instance, one takes animals from the St. George Animal Shelter (this is a kill shelter so it is desperately needed) and from ONLY the St. George Animal Shelter. Another group only rescues dogs. The person in charge of one group once said something to upset someone from another group and now they won't attend adoption events if the other group is there. Yeah, it's like that. I have tried hooking up with some groups that are supposed to be state-wide, but they really don't operate in the southern part of the state. They have one adoption event down here and call themselves a state group, even though the rest of the year they only hold events in the Salt Lake area.

And communication between the groups is terrible. I have tried to get on call lists or e-mail lists about adoption events so I can take my foster kitties. But I often don't hear about anything until just a couple days out - or after the fact.

So, what's a frustrated kitty foster mom to do? Well, the first step is try to improve communication between these groups. I have decided I won't throw my efforts behind just one, but will see what I can do to bring the existing groups together. No, I don't intend to form some big super group (that's been tried. It failed miserably). Instead, I want to help get them talking, get them online, get the communication flowing between rescue groups, shelters and foster parents.

Let's get everyone talking to each other. Because this really is about the animals, not about our own egos.

No comments:

Post a Comment