Friday, June 24, 2011

Yes, it IS your problem (AKA The Rant!)

I have, of course, been following the push for CAARA in New York and the fight against euthanasia in animal shelters. I am a huge supporter of the No-Kill philosophy and believe in TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) of feral cats and doing anything and everything to find each and every adoptable pet a forever home.

I know a lot of people who believe in No-Kill shelters and will help get animals adopted, but only if it's in their neighborhood. I actually had a lady the other day tell me her work was done because our shelter in Ivins, Utah, is a no-kill shelter. It didn't matter to her that every other city shelter in Utah still kills adoptable animals, including the shelter only 8 miles away in St. George. She will help the Ivins shelter with adoption events, but won't work with any rescue groups outside our town of 7800 people. Anything out side of that isn't her problem.

I wholeheartedly disagree. It IS your problem. It doesn't matter if it is a dog down the street or a momma cat and her kittens in a kill shelter in Des Moines. If you support no-kill then you support it EVERYWHERE!

Yes, I work local. But I spent three days e-mailing back and forth with Best Friends Animal Society to see if there was anything we could do to help the Cow Kitty and her cow kittens in Georgia and I cried - at work, no less - when I heard the news that they had been rescued. I rejoice that the shelter just up the street is No-Kill, but I am actively fighting to get the other shelters in Washington County - and the rest of Utah - changed to no-kill as well. I will sign any petition you need me to and I will pass the word and network my heart out to help homeless animals across the world. I do my Christmas shopping through the Animal Rescue Site and I play Freekibble daily. And when I get a spare dollar or two, I go to chip-in for NOWZAD or Puppy Rescue Mission.

I'm not saying this to toot my own horn. I'm saying it to prove that you can do something to help, even if you are broke and live in a small town and have very little spare time. All it takes is an extra bag of food a month to foster a cat or 15 minutes a week online to network for a shelter. Every little bit really does help.

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment