Monday, April 4, 2011

It's Kitten Season!

I was going to something productive today. Really, I was. But I have spring fever big time. Yes, the sun is shining and it's warm, but more importantly it's KITTEN SEASON!!

I don't actually have any kittens in my house this year and I haven't seen any in the neighborhood yet, which bodes well for our local TNR program. But there are still plenty of little kitty fluffballs wandering around. There are some at the shelter already (expect posts soon with details on adoption) and several rescue groups are posting pics and video of their little furry babies.

Maggie's babies from Love & Hisses. Photo by Robyn Anderson.
One rescuer with a site called Love & Hisses raised funds for her foster kitties by starting a pool to guess when Maggie - a very pregnant tabby - would have her babies. The six cuties entered the world on April 2 and the traffic on the Web site crashed the server. They now have a temp site up so we can get the scoop.

Little Queen, the only girl in the litter featured on The Kitten Crew's live feed on USTREAM.
Another site called The Kitten Crew has upped the ante. Not only do they have pics of their first litter of the year, they have a live stream of the kittens on UStream. It's taking me forever to write this because I keep switching over to the feed. It's lunch time and momma cat is being very patient with her 3-week-old wiggling offspring. And oops! One of them got out of the box and is taking off on an adventure! ... and he's back. Whew!

Some other groups are drawing attention to Kitten Season online as well. Alley Cat Allies has started posting links on their Facebook page to resources on dealing with feral kittens and TNR programs. Second Chance Sheridan Cat Rescue of Sheridan, Wyoming, has been posting fun cat trivia on its Facebook and Twitter to draw attention to its pages. Did you know it's possible for every kitten in a litter to have a different father?

I'm sure there are plenty more links, but I keep getting distracted by The Kitten Crew live feed. One of the babies is confused and is sucking on her brother's tail. Squeeeeeeeeeeee!

I, of course, support getting your kitten fix vicariously instead of first-hand. All of my cats are spayed or neutered and I am very glad they are. Trust me, there are still plenty of kittens to go around. If you want to play with some little ones, foster a pregnant rescue cat or visit your shelter and help socialize the kittens they have there.

3 comments:

  1. Aww Thanks for the mention and glad you are enjoying our feed. Hoping to get a second cam soon too so I will have a channel in the nest box and also one when they go on adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link! Now I need to go upstairs and kiss some little kitten faces. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these little babies! And now I'm off to The Kitten Crews web cam again... ;)

    ReplyDelete