Saturday, January 15, 2011

Protective Custody

It has taken me more than a week to write this entry. I don't know why, except I really am upset about it. I feel like I have failed our poor little Bobby big time.

As you'll know if you read the entry on Meet Bobby, he was a stray cat who just started showing up. He was getting more and more comfortable with people and was settling in nicely. I got him signed up for the Big Fix for him to get neutered and get his shots. Then I was going to start posting notices to find him a new home.

Well, about a month ago our neighbor's cat went into heat. (Yes, I've talked to them. they PROMISED they'd get her fixed). It drew several new feral cats into our immediate area and stirred everything up. Despite being huge - he's twice Tyrone's size - Bobby just wouldn't fight. He started coming in covered with scratches and with big tufts of fur missing. And he was coming in the house less and less. We had a huge cold streak and we had snow on the ground, but he wouldn't come inside. I eventually discovered that one of the cats beating on him was Tyrone.

I got more and more worried about Bobby. He came in with a big abscess on his ear that was bleeding and leaking all over. Kristin and I both did what we could to clean him up, but it hurt him and he started avoiding us again. His ear finally started to heal, but then he came in with another abscess on his cheek. He was still eating OK, but I could tell it hurt him.

Kristin and I sat down and finally decided we had to take him to the shelter. He wasn't safe outside and, thanks to Tyrone, he wasn't safe inside either. My one test at keeping him inside for a day resulted in him freaking out when he couldn't get out the cat door to get away from Tyrone and Diedra. And we had nowhere in the house we could put him where he would be safe and comfortable away from the other cats. It wasn't an easy decision to make, but last Thursday morning I took him in.

Before anyone freaks out, the animal shelter here in Ivins is a No Kill shelter with an extremely high adoption rate. I would never have considered this otherwise. He is safe and has a chance to heal. And the volunteers there are pros at socializing the animals. I donated the funds to get him treated and neutered and as soon as he is out of quarantine I will do what I can to find him a home.

So - Bobby is safe but no longer with us. Again, I feel like I've failed him but I didn't know what else to do for him. I know he will find a great home - he really is a sweet, gentle cat without a mean bone in his body.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sad. I wish there was some way I could help. He will end up with a wonderful family, and hopefully you can visit him! Xox