Monday, January 24, 2011

Busy Week

A lot has been going on this week. Here is a bit of a recap.

My "special" girl Ashi was a feral kitten.
Last Tuesday I launched a petition against Utah H.B. 210. I just checked the numbers and it is just shy of 1000 signatures. I am overwhelmed - in a good way - by the response. I had some wonderful people help me spread the word on FaceBook and Twitter and animal lovers from across Utah and across the U.S. have added there voice against this proposed amendment to the Animal Cruelty Act.

I had planned to launch a letter-writing campaign targeting the Utah House as well but I had trouble finding a good, easy way for people to send letters to their Representatives. Fortunately Alley Cat Allies and No More Homeless Pets Utah got on the bandwagon and set up some forms to make it easy. The Alley Cat Allies has a letter set up on their Action Center Web site and Best Friends boss Gregory Castle wrote up a great letter in his blog. I still plan to set up a letter-writing campaign - somehow.

Bobby has claimed an empty Ramen box as his own. It's a perfect fit!
Bobby has now been back for about a week and he's doing well. No new fights and I even saw him and Tyrone share a head bump yesterday. It was wonderful. In not so wonderful news, the test taken when he was neutered said he is FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus) positive. The second test to confirm also came back positive. So our sweet boy has the kitty version of HIV. He is not symptomatic, which is good, and he can still live a long, healthy life even with the virus. He will, however, be more susceptible to infections and such so we will have to watch him closely. I did some research and with him neutered there is about a 1% chance of him passing it on to any other cats - I can live with that - but it will still make it harder to find him a new home. What really worries me is that he caught it somewhere, which means there is at least one other cat wandering the neighborhood that has FIV and is spreading it. I plan to talk to some of the neighbors about starting a new wave of TNR in hopes of stopping the spread.

That's about it for this week. Don't miss the daily fun on the Kate's Cats FaceBook page.

1 comment:

  1. Ryn, one of our cats at my mom's house has it too and it hasn't been a problem. He's really healthy and beautiful and hasn't given it to any of the others. I think he'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete