Sunday, October 24, 2010

FLOOD!!!

Disaster struck yesterday evening at our house. OK, it really wasn't that bad, but the cats thought for sure it was the end of the world.

Kristin was at work and the kids were at daycare and I put some laundry in the washer before lying down for a nap prior to my graveyard shift. Tyrone and Diedra were being kinda rowdy so I shut all the cats out of my bedroom and turned on my noisemaker to drown out their thudding, yowling and general mayhem.

I got up at 9:30 p.m. and wandered into the living room to find Diedra, Tyrone and Bobby sitting in a row just at the entrance to the kitchen. They all swiveled their heads in unison to give me a frantic look, then turned back into the kitchen. Just then Ashi let out an anguished howl from the laundry room, which is just on the other side of the kitchen. My first thought was that they were out of food ... again. I started my diatribe:

"Seriously, you guys! I filled up the dishes just before I went to bed. There's no way you're out of food already! If one of you spilled the food again, I'm going to ..."

Splash! I hit the kitchen and stepped in about half an inch of water. The washer had overflowed and sent water gushing across the laundry room and the kitchen. The laundry room rug was completely soaked and the cat box was practically floating. Ashi was high and dry on top of the dryer, her eyes wide and staring. She let out another yowl, as if to say: "OMG! It's everywhere! The water is everywhere!"

I waded into the mess and started throwing down towels to mop up the water. The whole cleanup was supervised by all four cats. Diedra sat on the kitchen counter and glared - convinced, not doubt, that the whole thing was designed to inconvenience her personally. Bobby especially seemed distressed by the fact that his new food supply might be cut off. His eyes were wide and he kept coming close to watch, then would skitter away, then come back. I could hear him thinking: "Not cool, man. That's the food!" I finally took pity on him and grabbed one of the food dishes off the dryer and set it in the living room so he could eat. I also ferried Ashi across the lake and put her at the edge of the kitchen. She huddled on one of the dining chairs and watched the whole mopping process, yowling occasionally to make sure I didn't forget her.

Tyrone was probably the funniest, though. He sat there at the edge of the water and would occasionally put a paw out to test and see if it was still wet. He'd shake the water off, back off for a moment, then come back and test it again. "Yes, it's still wet!" I told him. He just looked at me with his head cocked, then reached out a paw and tested it again.

Unfortunately I was too busy dealing with the mess to take any photos of the cats and the water. Yes, I know my priorities need to be reassessed. Those pics would have been hilarious.

Oh, and you'll be happy to hear that the water was successfully cleaned up and the cats had full access again to the cat box and the food. Happy ending!

1 comment:

  1. so cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete